Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Today's Liberty Quotes are helpful in my efforts to recharge, so I am breaking my break briefly to share them with you. If these ideas were understood before, they can be understood again.

"Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of government. The history of liberty is the history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of governmental power, not the increase of it."

-- Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) 28th US President Speech, 1912

"That the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression."

-- Alabama, Declaration of Rights Article I Section 35

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution ... or have failed their purpose ... or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is 'needed' before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should be attacked for neglecting my constituents' 'interests,' I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty, and in that cause I am doing the very best I can."

-- Barry Goldwater (1909-1998) US Senator (R-Arizona)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for these. It's especially helpful in these tough times ;/

Ray said...

Greetings Ms. Haynes,

I enjoyed the quotes -- the Alabama Declaration of Rights in particular, which I wasn't familiar with -- and I also really loved your closing comment. I hadn't thought of it that way before, and I found it comforting. I truly did.

Just incidentally, the thinking man dot com is closing its doors for good, but I have another website up and running. I've undertaken the task of heading up the Northern Colorado Tea Party, and much of the thinking man is being transferred to that site. It's much roomier, less stuffy.

I hope you're well.

Best of all possible regards,

Ray