Saturday, July 12, 2008

50 by 50 needs a 5150

or: The G8 Pact for Economic Suicide


For those of you not following the latest international political posturing, 50 by 50 stands for reducing greenhouse gas emissions 50% by 2050. And for those of you unfamiliar with California's Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 5150 is the statute which provides for involuntary psychiatric confinement when a police officer or physician determines a person to be a danger to himself or others. By any rational economic, political or scientific standard I can think of, the signatories of 50 by 50 would qualify.

In the name of efficiency (meaning the best use of both your and my time,) rather than attempt to recreate an already excellent summary of this situation, I refer you to the following article, “Our leaders are in carbon-cloud cuckoo land” by Christopher Booker, published this past Thursday (7-10-08) in the UK Telegraph.

Somewhere in the stacks of articles on my desk, there is one which provides an excellent update on the current comparative costs of energy produced by oil, gas, coal, solar, wind and biofuels. When I find it, I will pass it on!

No comments: